Fingal County Council has launched an exciting programme of events for Seachtain na Gaeilge which includes a night or music and song in the Atrium County Hall Swords on March 7th and a wide range of events throughout the county. The programme which includes events organised by the council and other groups within the county was launched by Deputy Mayor of Fingal, Cllr Eithne Loftus before a meeting of the Fingal County Council Coiste Gaeilge on Wednesday February 22nd.
The program was compiled by Fingal County Council's Irish Language Officer Bernie
Kelly in association with Fingal County Council's Coiste Gaeilge (Irish Language Committee). The Coiste Gaeilge chaired by Cllr Daire Ní Laoi brings together Fingal Council Staff and Councillors and members of Irish Language community groups with the aim or promoting the Irish Language in the Council and the County.
Among the events being organised by Fingal County Council are
• Traditional Music and Song with Antaine Ó Faracháin and Nollaig Mac Cárthaigh, Atrium County Hall Swords, Tuesday March 7, 7pm
• Celtic Crafts for Children Rush & Balbriggan Library
• Bilingual storytelling in Rush, Howth, Donabate and Swords Library
• Lunchtime tours of Swords Castle Wednesday March 8 and 15
Other events in Fingal include:
• Football through Irish in Fingallians and Castleknock GAA clubs
• Concert organised by Pobal Gaeilge Cúig Déag in Ongar Community Centre Friday 10th
• Quiz Night 15th and other events through Irish in Fingallians GAA Club
• Irish Night, Poetry evening and Bilingual walk in Balbriggan
• Various Irish Language Conversation Groups across the county
Speaking at the launch Deputy Mayor of Fingal, Cllr Eithne Loftus said “I am delighted to launch such a varied programme with events for young and old across the whole county.” Chief Executive Paul Reid “I encourage the use of Irish within the council and look forward to the event in the Atrium County Hall where staff and members of the community can do this in a fun social setting. The events in our Libraries for Seachtain na Gaeilge are part of a huge range of Library events throughout the year”
Seachtain na Gaeilge (Irish Language Week) is an international Irish language festival and one of the biggest celebrations of our native language and culture that takes place each year in Ireland and in many other countries. Bernie Kelly Irish Officer for Fingal County Council encouraged everyone to try and use a little Irish during Seachtain na Gaeilge “Everyone has some Irish and whether you can make it to one of these events or not try to use Irish in a fun way with your family and friends. Bain triail aisti – Give it a try”.
The Seachtain na Gaeilge programme can be downloaded from www.Fingal.ie CLICK HERE . For updates follow us on twitter at @fingalcoco @fingallibraries and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/fingalcoco email firstname.lastname@example.org For further information on all Seachtain na Gaeilge events see www.peig.ie or www.snag.ie