Can I bring to your attention a few issues that I think need explaining regarding the analogue / digital tv switch over on October 24 th.
As I am a local tv / satellite installer I have been getting very similar questions from lots of my customers. If you would consider posting the following I would really appreciate it and I think the Balbriggan public would too as there seems to be a lot of confusion over this.
1. The red x and 24 October now visible on all RTE 1and Network 2 program's indicate the changeover date.
2. From this date there will be no Irish or English television channels broadcasting on the existing analog system . This means that if you are currently getting your BBC's and RTE's from a television aerial, from 24th October you will have nothing on your screen!
3. If however you have a Saorview tv (a flat screen tv purchased in the last 18 to 24 months ) you will most likely be able to receive the Irish stations after 24th October.
4. If you have an older tv (especially the old tube type tv ) you will need a saorview box to receive the Irish stations.
5. A saorview tv and a saorview box will NOT show any of the English stations. To receive the BBC's, UTV and Ch4 you will need a satellite dish. This is the only way you will receive these stations after 24th October.
6. Buying saorview boxes without considering the BBC's etc could be a waste of money because you will also have to buy a satellite box and dish (if you don't already have one).
The cheapest way around this is to purchase a combination box : saorview and satellite.
Each tv in the house will require a saorview box / satellite box or combination box to maintain your current viewing.
I hope this helps